What Biodiversity Funding is Available for your Projects?
Category : Yosef Dvores
Biodiversity Funding opportunities to help you kickstart your environmental dreams
We all want to help the environment in one way or another. But after hearing the constant negative news about the trajectory of the natural world, it’s easy to feel disheartened. But there are also many positive changes happening all the time for the environment, which often get side-lined by the doom and gloom of mainstream media. It’s important not to get overwhelmed and focus on what you can do, which is actually quite a lot.
And luckily, you’re not alone. There are always people ready to help, and even more that will be ready with a little encouragement. At the end of the day, our species are very social creatures that have evolved to work together. Instinctively, we love to get together for a common goal. Never underestimate the impact that one small group of individuals can have on their community.
Community-based initiatives and widely praised for being one of the most critical components of the environmental movement. The volunteer movement in Ireland is unmatched. It is the local activism that plays one of the biggest roles in progressing societal norms towards a more sustainable future. That is why the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) highlight the need for governments and agencies to support community initiatives.
With all that in mind we decided to signpost a few funding opportunities you can take advantage of to increase the quality of life for your community and the natural world around it.
Since its launch in 1991, LEADER programme has helped rural communities across the European Union to actively engage and to direct the local development of their area, through community-led local development. One of the objectives under it’s remit is to provide funding for local projects that improve biodiversity.
- A big opportunity but don’t get discouraged, reach out for support because the reward is worth the effort.
- How to apply: https://www.nationalruralnetwork.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/How-to-Apply-for-LEADER-Funding-NRN-Information-Leaflet.pdf
- To see previously funded projects, visit: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b849be-local-action-groups-approved-projects-2014-2020/
Community Water Development Fund:
- Relatively straightforward application process, made easier by your local LAWPRO officer. Get in touch with them today: https://lawaters.ie/team/communities-team/
- This fund helps local communities improve the quality of their streams, rivers, lakes and coastal areas. https://lawaters.ie/funding/
- Previous application form (new one is an online portal) : https://consult.watersandcommunities.ie/en/content/community-water-development-fund-grant-application-form-2022
Other Biodiversity Funding Opportunities:
- Find biodiversity funding opportunities through NPWS: https://www.npws.ie/biodiversity/biodiversity-funding
- Biodiversity Ireland – funding for biodiversity recording
- Inland Fisheries: https://www.fisheriesireland.ie/services/funding/habitats-conservation-funding-call-2022
- Teagasc – funding for native woodland establishment – https://www.teagasc.ie/crops/forestry/grants/establishment-grants/native-woodland-establishment/
- Anti Dumping Initiative Funding – Dept. Communications, Climate Action & Environment
- Community Enhancement Programme 2022 – https://drcd.gov.ie/community/community-enhancement-programme/
- The Community Biodiversity Grant – the Community Foundation for Ireland. One biodiversity funding grant of €10,000 and five grants of €5,000
- Water Heritage Week – Funding available for events held during Water Heritage Week 19th to 25th August 2022
- The Community Heritage Grant Scheme 2022
- Local Awareness Initiative Funding
If you are aware of any other funding that we have missed feel free to let us know.
- Great resource for training and guidance https://www.wheel.ie/
- Must become a member to gain access. Membership:
- Free for organizations that take in less than € 25,000
- € 25 for unwaged individual, € 75 for waged
- The Wheel has a huge database for funding grants, but it costs to access it:
- € 100 for members, € 200 for non-members
- Plus more training through weact.ie – FREE
- Helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtAQ8IpDNQ
We have witnessed the passion and power of local community groups at our various training courses and networking events. It does require some work and a bit of determination but the funding is there to help those who are willing to tackle local biodiversity issues. The very best of luck to anyone who applies and do let us know how you get on.